Labels

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Curried Lentils and Red Quinoa

Everyone who knows me is aware that I am not a big fan of indian food, especially curries. I did try a few but they just aren't my thing. But as every rule has it's exception the only indian food I enjoy is the modern indian cuisine at The Cinnamon Club as they don't do the same old sloppy curries. Anyway long story short I got inspired by their approach and cooked a lentils and quinoa curry today and really enjoyed it.



For this recipe I used:

  • 1 cup uncooked green lentils 
  • 1/2 cup organic red quinoa 
  • 500 ml chicken broth/stock 
  • 1/2 cup green curry paste ( I used this one as it has no  additives )
  •  1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste 
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil 
  • 2 garlic cloves minced 
  • 2 tsp garam masala 
  • 1/2 cup coconut cream ( coconut milk will do as well )
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 handfulls ( about 100 gr) baby spinach 
  • creme fraiche for topping ( greek yogurt is also very nice)
I washed the lentils and quinoa and soaked them for 1 hour in warm water. This is not an necessary stem but it speeds up the cooking process. In a medium sauce pan place the lentils, quinoa, the chicken stock, the green curry paste and the turmeric. Bring to boil and simmer for 20-25 min until the lentils are almost cooked and there is not much liquid left. You can add about a half cup more water if you feel the lentils are still uncooked and they absorbed all the stock.

At the end of this process the mixture should thicken slightly. Add the tomato paste , the coconut oil, the garlic and garam masala and stir. Add the coconut cream and simmer for another 5 minutes until thick and creamy. Add the baby spinach, cover with a lid and remove from heat. After about 2 minutes the spinach should be wilted. Stir and serve.


I had this lentil curry as a side dish to some pan seared cod topped with a spoon of creme fraiche and it was divine.


Enjoy xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment